Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sophie Scholl

I had originally planned to write a horror movie review in the spirit of Halloween, but I happened to stumble on this film and it is too good to not write a review on it. I am a big fan of WWII movies so this was a must watch for me, but it really is like no other nazi movie.


Sophie Scholl is a movie based on, obviously, a german girl named Sophie Scholl and her brother Hans Scholl who are part of the White rose non-violent resistance group in nazi germany. They are college students and are devoted to writing anti war leaflets. However, they are caught and convicted of high treason. This film is based on the unpublished transcripts of these two students interrogations.

This is such a horribly terrifying film, knowing that what you are hearing was once said by two very brave college students who gave their lives for an ideal. The ideal of freedom. It may seem cheezy of me to say this, but this movie was incredibly moving and made me think about wether i would do the same. My answer is no. I feel horrible admitting this but im not sure if you would do the same. I dont think very many people today have the courage these two students had to speak up for the freedom of others. They didn't have to do what they did. This movie made me appreciate the world i live in even if it is a terrible one. I have the freedom many people didn't have and that some dont have today. I hope you give this film a chance and feel the same.

10/10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5A4ETW_Io





Sophie Scholl            and       Hans Scholl
9 May 1921 – 22 February 1943,  22 September 1918 – 22 February 1943

No comments:

Post a Comment